by Nylse Esahc
You’ve raised them, and the hard work is over. It’s ‘me time.’ You now get to relax and live your life. Variations of these themes exist for parents who have raised children, but this is never the reality. While the early years may be labor intensive, the latter years are emotionally taxing and take an equal toll on you. As adults, our control decreases but we have a more significant opportunity for positive influence. With the backdrop of prayer, we can navigate the seasons of our lives with success.
These days as most of my children have left the nest I find myself praying more fervently for them. I’m grateful they are all walking with the Lord, but these ten prompts apply to both those of us whose adult children are not following him and those of us whose kids are continuing with him:
- For Boldness – For you have not given us the spirit of fear, but of love, power and a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7). Lord, I pray that my children will tap into what you have given them. May your spirit of love, power, and a sound mind be evident in their lives.
- For Knowledge – The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, fools despise wisdom and instruction (Proverbs 1:7). Lord, I pray that you may be central in their lives which in turn leads to the pathway of knowledge.
- For Wisdom – That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him (Ephesians 1:17) Lord, your wisdom is available simply by asking. Lord, may they seek it and use it as a guide in all of their circumstances. For the wisdom that is from you is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy (James 3:17). Wisdom is a big deal! May they seek, have it in abundance and use it.
- For Protection – Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust (Psalms 16:1). Lord protect daily, hourly, every minute and every second. Surround them with your protection. (Psalms 3:3) Lord, I pray for your protection in their lives with your righteous right hand; protect them from harm and evil.
- For Opportunity – The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I have come that they might have life and that they might have it more abundantly (John 10:10). Lord, open up the right doors in all areas of their lives. Lord, send the right people their way, and may they say yes to everything You send their way.
- For their hearts – Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life (Proverbs 4:23), then grant thee according to thine own heart, and fulfill all thy counsel (Psalms 20:4) Lord, guard their hearts. May they be mindful of what they feed their minds. Lord renew and transform their minds and hearts daily. Banish negative thoughts and may they find restoration in you.
- For strong and fulfilling relationships – Make no friendship with an angry man; and with a furious man, thou shalt not go. Lest thou learn his ways and get a snare to thy soul (Proverbs 22:24-25). Instead, may they have friendships that build and encourage (1 Thessalonians 5:11); with those who can weep with them and also rejoice with them; with those who walk with understanding; with those that are gracious and loving.
- For a more in-depth relationship – The righteous cry and the Lord heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles. The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the Lord delivereth him out of them all (Psalms 34:17-19) Lord, keep my children humble and clinging to you. We know that you save and deliver and in the process of this life’s trials we can be drawn closer to you. Draw them close to you for you are compassionate, gracious, full of love and faithfulness (Psalms 86:15), unlike any human. May they have new strength and energy for old things.
- For purposeful confidence –With him is an arm of flesh, but with us is the Lord our God to help us, and to fight our battles. And the people rested themselves upon the words of Hezekiah king of Judah (2 Chronicles 32:8) And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance forever (Isaiah 32:17) Lord may my children have a confidence that You are with them that enables them to walk boldly through this life regardless of their circumstances. May they rest themselves upon the promises of your Word knowing that You will give them what they need for every situation. May they have the quiet assurance of your battle fighting expertise.
- Love displayed and acted – Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honor preferring one another (Romans 12:9-10) May your love be evident in their lives; may it emanate from them and guide their interactions. May they live knowing that your love is a more excellent way.